Ramblings from a Boston Boy stuck in New York
Tag Archives: Los Angeles Angels
28-July-2010Posted by on
From Tony Lee, NESN.com:
When the Red Sox left Seattle on the heels of two straight damaging losses, things looked a tad grim. Consecutive wins over the reeling Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim have brightened the skies.
With Josh Beckett on the mound Wednesday afternoon the Sox can finish their second sweep of the Angels this year and return home on a winning note.
Beckett, who returned from a two-month layoff Friday in Seattle, will have some tough acts to follow. Clay Buchholz threw seven superb innings in Boston’s 6-3 win in the series opener, and John Lackey worked into the eighth to get the victory in his return to Anaheim on Tuesday night.
The Sox are now 5-4 on their 10-game West Coast road trip.
Los Angeles, meanwhile, has lost six of seven and is fading fast, now 8 1/2 games behind Texas in the American League West and 13 behind wild card-leading Tampa Bay in the loss column.
28-July-2010Posted by on
Dustin Pedroia, much to his dismay, is human.
Dr. Lewis Yocum examined the injured Red Sox second baseman yesterday and informed him that the broken medial navicular bone in his left foot will need at least six weeks to heal, not the five weeks Pedroia was hoping for.
“He kind of scared me a little bit,’’ Pedroia said last night before the Sox played the Angels. “There’s nothing really that I can do. Just time’s got to heal me. He kind of told me I can’t play unless I feel no pain, which isn’t good.
“I didn’t realize how serious it was and how long it’s going to take.’’
Today marks 33 days since Pedroia was injured, well short of six weeks. He is scheduled for a CT scan in Boston Friday, which should give doctors a better idea of how well the bone has healed. Until then, Pedroia will be shut down from throwing, taking grounders or batting practice to give his foot some rest.
“I think the message has been pretty consistent,’’ manager Terry Francona said. “I think today maybe Pedey heard it a little bit better.’’
Pedroia is hopeful the CT scan will bring good news. But the idea that he could return on the next homestand is not realistic.
“Mentally I’m thinking I’m going to,’’ he said. “But who the hell knows?’’
Pedroia said his foot “felt weird’’ Monday when he tried jogging for the first time.
“Any time my foot pounds on that ground, it didn’t really feel good,’’ Pedroia said. “[Yocum] said you have to be smart, man. It can definitely hurt you in the long run.’’
Pedroia had been under the impression he could play through some pain. But Yocum said that wasn’t an option. If Pedroia fractures that bone again, he would be looking at surgery that could keep him out for parts of next season.
“You really can’t do that with this injury,’’ he said. “That’s hard to deal with. That bone can break off and they’d have to put pins in it. That would be a disaster.’’
Pedroia was distraught at first but eventually came around to the idea that it wasn’t bad news.
“Everything looks great. I’m ahead of schedule,’’ he said. “It’s just my schedule and their schedule were a little different. That was the only thing. I’m good.’’
Ellsbury moving ahead
Jacoby Ellsbury took another step forward in his return when he played six innings in center field for the Gulf Coast League Red Sox against the Rays at Fort Myers, Fla.
Ellsbury walked in the first inning, stole second, and went to third on a throwing error. He then scored on a sacrifice fly. He later grounded into a double play and had a single to right field.
27-July-2010Posted by on
From DJ Bean, WEEI.com:
David Ortiz appeared on The Big Show a day after hitting his 20th and 21st homers of the season in a 6-3 Red Sox victory over the Angels. Now hitting .256 with 64 RBI and possessing a .370 on-base percentage, Ortiz spoke of his confidence that his game would return following a rough start to the season.
“This is a game that you need consistency to stay in it and play in,” Ortiz said. “It can walk away from you in a long period of time but it can’t walk away from you from one day to the next. ”
Ortiz noted that he was humbled by the fans sticking with him throughout a dreadful first month in which he hit just .143 with one homer. Some media members weren’t so high on his list, however, as he claimed that some reporters in Boston take negative attitudes.
“The fans have always been supportive. Now, everything starts with reporters. Reporters have always been the problem in Boston,” Ortiz said. “That’s why you see players and they don’t want to come and play here. Just because they have a deal with a reporter, they have a deal with this one guy, that just because you had a bad week [they say] you’re slowing down, and they put in people’s minds that you can’t play no more. You’re old, you’re this, you’re that. I heard that every day. I’m not a guy who likes to pay attention to any of that, but it was in the news every day.”
Ortiz’ turnaround for the second straight year left him hoping the media would have been patient in the first place.
“It was April. It was April,” Ortiz said passionately. “Look at where my numbers are right now, and we’ve still got two months left.”
Ortiz hopes to get a multi-year deal in the offseason, as he noted that he is one of the few true designated hitters to both put up numbers and stay healthy. As for the moves the team will make before the trade deadline, Ortiz seems confident in the roster once it’s healthy.
“I know that Theo and the rest of the squad, they know what to do at the time. I think we’ll be fine,” Ortiz said. “Those injuries that caught up with us five, six weeks, ago … you can see the difference without those guys in the lineup. … We’re still going to have six or seven weeks where we can put some good games together and see what happens toward the end of the season.”
27-July-2010Posted by on
Victor Martinez was activated by the Boston Red Sox before Monday’s game and was back in the lineup, catching and batting sixth, though manager Terry Francona said that it will be just a matter of time before Martinez is back in the heart of the order.
Martinez hit an RBI single his first time up against right-hander Dan Haren, who was making his Angels debut.
Martinez has been on the disabled list since June 28 with a fractured left thumb. At the time he was hurt, the Red Sox were in second place, two games out of first in the AL East. The Red Sox went 9-13 in the 22 games he missed to drop to third place, eight games out.
The dropoff can’t all be attributed to Martinez’s absence, of course. On the same weekend in San Francisco in which Martinez was hurt, Dustin Pedroia fractured a bone in his left foot and Clay Buchholz strained his left hamstring, and three nights later Jason Varitek also fractured his foot, leaving the Sox without both of their big-league catchers.
The four catchers who played in Martinez’s absence — Varitek (two-plus games), Kevin Cash, Gustavo Molina and Dusty Brown — have combined to bat .162 (12-for-74) with two RBIs, both belonging to Varitek.
Brown was optioned to Pawtucket to make room for Martinez.
“He certainly won’t be hitting sixth very long,” Francona said before the Red Sox beat the Angels 6-3. “It wasn’t fair to stick him in third or fourth until he gets some games under his belt.”
Martinez said his glove has been fitted with some special padding to prevent him from aggravating the injury. The thumb had been bothering him more swinging from the right side, but Martinez said that’s no longer the case, and it won’t be a big factor in Anaheim as the Angels are starting three right-handers in succession: Haren, Jered Weaver and Joel Pineiro.
Francona said whether Martinez plays all three games will depend on how he responds physically, but with Wednesday being a day game, Francona said the Sox are preparing to have Cash catch.
“I’m just excited,” Martinez said. “It’s not fun to watch the game from the bench.”
Gordon Edes is ESPNBoston.com’s Red Sox reporter. He has covered the Red Sox for 12 years and has reported on baseball for 25 years.
27-July-2010Posted by on
Even though Victor Martinez just returned from the disabled list and went 1-for-4 with an RBI in a 6-3 win over the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim yesterday, the Boston Red Sox are looking to add a catcher before the July 31 non-waiver trading deadline passes and the team had discussions with the New York Mets about bringing catcher Rod Barajas to New England, according to WEEI.
The Sox were offering reliever Ramon Ramirez for the catcher, WEEI reports, but that now appears to be off the table since Barajas went on the disabled list yesterday.
Ramirez, who has a 4.69 ERA, is making $1.55 million this year and will have salary increases for the next two seasons.